Each university has its own entrance requirements and will judge you on an individual basis. The university will map your academic credentials. There is no nationwide set of entrance exams. For more details about this or any other part of the application process, contact the INTEREDWISE Office or the registrar at the university you wish to attend.
Universities are educational institutions attended after at least 12 years of school, or after secondary school, for studies leading to a degree and research. All 93-member universities of AUCC offer three or four-year bachelor degree programs; most offer one to two year masters degrees and a number also offer doctoral or PhD programs. Some universities are called colleges, and a few are called institutes, university colleges, or schools. Community colleges are two-year institutions that offer technical or vocational courses, or courses for transfer to a university, leading to a certificate or diploma. Community colleges do not generally offer degree programs. For more information on Canadian Community Colleges, Contact INTEREDWISE.
To study at a Canadian University, you must first be accepted in a program of study by a recognized Canadian university. Once you have determined which universities meet your needs, contact the registrars office at each institution to obtain an application for a bachelors program or a professional degree. If you wish to pursue postgraduate studies in Canada you may obtain more information by contacting the dean of graduate studies at the universities that interest you. It is important to apply early. Generally, international students should apply to a Canadian university up to eight months in advance. Some universities have application deadlines as late as June for a September start date. Typical entry points for international students are the September and January semesters. However, many universities have adopted a procedure of "rolling admissions" which means that they consider international students applications as they come in throughout the year. However, for graduate programs in particular, it can take time to ensure you are matched with the right faculty adviser, so give yourself enough lead-time. Calendars with course descriptions, admission requirements and procedures, costs and scholarships are available from the registrar at each university. Engineering, optometry, medicine, veterinary medicine, law, and dentistry are fields where the first professional degree is considered an undergraduate program. Limited seats are available contingent on your academic merit. A high level of academic achievement is required for admission. Often at least two years of undergraduate study in a related field are required before you can be admitted to the first professional degree program. Check the university calendar to identify tests such as LSAT (law) or DAT (dentistry) that may also be required.
You have to be proficient in English or French, depending on the University you choose. Most English universities require a score of 560 + on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or a score of 70 on the Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL). Canadian French-language universities usually assess applicants on a case-by-case basis.
A bachelors or undergraduate degree takes three to four years to complete. All honours programs require a high level of achievement and concentration in the subject. An honours degree is generally a forerunner for admission into graduate studies. A masters degree usually requires at least one year of full-time study and includes a thesis. A doctoral degree, or PhD, requires at least three years of additional full-time study, with at least one year on campus. In most cases, a masters degree is required before admission into a doctoral program, but some universities will accept students who have completed an honors degree.
A degree from a Canadian University is recognized around the world and is usually equivalent to an American degree or a degree from another Commonwealth country. Professional and specialized programs such as medicine, nursing and engineering are accredited by reliable and reputable agencies. Current and new academic programs are regularly reviewed by provincial, institutional or regional bodies to ensure quality standards. Canada does not have a transfer of credits process similar to that found in the U.S. However an accurate mapping is done by the appropriate provincial charter coupled with membership. For specific details on degree recognition, please consult with INTEREDWISE. We will assist with your credentials or qualifications being recognized in Canada by referring them to the appropriate bodies.
The cost of living in Canada is moderate, compared with other countries. Some prices of typical goods and services are as follows (in US dollars): One months lodging, one-bedroom apartment: $400 Bus fare, one way: $1.50 Local telephone call: $0.25 Modest restaurant meal: lunch $7/dinner $14 Movie: $7 Canadian winters are chilly, an adequate warm clothing budget is essential. Budget around $250 - $350 US for proper winter wardrobe. You will need approximately $12,000 US ($18,840 Cdn or 13,000 Euro) to cover your expenses for an academic year. This includes your tuition and living expenses but not your air-fare. Please remember that this figure is an average only. Actual expenses may vary depending on the region of the country you live in, the tuition fees at the university you attend and your field of specialisation. Consult us to assist with your financial planning
Most universities offer the option to live on-campus either in residences designated for international students or in residences generally available to all students on campus. However, acceptance at a Canadian school does not ensure accommodation in a residence. School Provided Accommodation Homestays Many Canadian families welcome international students. This may be an effective way for you to improve your English or French, learn about daily life in Canada, and meet new, friendly people. Homestays also offer a more stable and secure environment for younger people coming to study in Canada. Typically, a homestay consists of a Canadian family hosting a student in their home while the student attends classes in Canada. Meals aNd a private, furnished room are provided in the home, and the host family welcomes and encourages participation in family and community activities. Homestays are arranged by the school and students are matched with families who share similar interests. Amenities and location vary from home to home, but preferences can and should be indicated to the school so that a suitable match may be found. Many schools can arrange for a school representative or homestay family to meet you at the airport when you arrive. Prices will vary according to location, and some homestay services will charge an initial placement fee of up to $200 CDN. For more information, contact the school you will be attending. Average cost of homestay accommodation: $400 - $800 CDN per month. Residence/Dormitory Many schools have accommodation conveniently located on or near their campus. Rooms can vary in size and in quality, and many dormitories have shared kitchens, toilets, showers and laundry facilities. There is usually an option of having either a shared or private room, and dormitories are usually separated by gender. In some cases, there are cafeterias and meal plans that can be included in the cost of the room. Most dormitories come furnished, and are an ideal way to become involved in campus activities and meet other students. Average cost of residence/dormitory rooms: $3,000 - $7,500 CDN per school year. For more information, contact the school you will be attending. Off-Campus Housing Renting Renting is an option open to students, but price, quality and availability vary greatly. Rents are often quite high in the major cities, and places are not always available. Many students share accommodation to keep costs down and usually find places to meet their needs and preferences. Many schools offer an off-campus housing service, which can provide affordable listings that are near the campus. At this service centre, those seeking shared accommodations can also find roommates. Once on campus, you will often find a variety of postings throughout the campus advertising nearby housing, but it is always best to make arrangements before coming to Canada. There are different types of places you can rent as an international student. A house is usually too expensive for one student to rent, but many students share or rent suites (a self-contained unit with a kitchen, toilet, bath and bedroom) within a larger home. Apartments are another option, where one has a kitchen, toilet, bath, and one or two bedrooms. Most rental apartments do not include furniture or meals. Some, however, include the cost of heat and/or electricity in the rent. Listings of available apartments or homes are published in local newspapers. It is the responsibility of the student to determine suitability as schools do not inspect these places nor can they make any other arrangements. Most landlords require a damage deposit and rent is paid on a monthly basis in cash or by cheque. Agreements with landlords should be made with care. Carefully examine and know the terms of any lease before you sign it. Carefully examine the apartment or suite before signing a lease to determine whether anything needs to be repaired by the landlord before you move in. If you experience problems with your rental accommodation, you should contact a provincial residential tenancy office. Average cost of shared accommodations in Canada: $250 - $700 CDN monthly. Average cost of a suite or apartment: $400 - $1,500 CDN monthly. Things to remember when choosing accommodation in Canada: Try to make arrangements ahead of time but be especially sure to do so if you require accommodation during the summer months, and during holidays and festivals. If you are staying in a hotel or hostel, always inspect the room on arrival before making a payment. If you are unsure about the location, ask the local tourism association. Prices can vary greatly according to location and time of year, so try to investigate before you leave. Canada is a friendly and wonderful place, and having made the proper arrangements, you will undoubtedly enjoy your stay regardless of where you choose to live in Canada. Youth Hostels/YWCA/YMCA Hostelling is a temporary and inexpensive way to stay in major cities. Accommodation is basic but economical, and primary facilities (toilets, baths and kitchens) are shared. Rates are calculated daily, and costs are less than other accommodation choices. A Canadian hostel must be inspected and approved by the Canadian Hostelling Association. Average cost of a room in a hostel: $10 - $20 CDN per night.
All international students may work on campus Graduate or research work completed at facilities associated with your institution (such as hospitals) also meets the definition of "on-campus" In order to work off-campus, international students must obtain a work permit. This is granted if your employment is considered essential to your course of study Potential Policy Change: Please note that the Canadian government is now looking at the possibility to allow, under certain conditions, full-time international students to work part-time off-campus during the school term and full-time during the holidays. Please contact us for more details. In addition, you may request a work permit if you finish your degree in Canada and wish to work for a year in your field of study.
You will have to arrange for medical coverage before you arrive in Canada. Medical coverage varies from province to province and sometimes from university to university within each province. Please check with us for detailed information. Also, we will inform you whether the universities you are applying to have any medical insurance plans for international students. The provinces of Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan cover international students under their provincial health care plans. Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island and Quebec do not cover international students under their provincial health care plans. International students planning to study in one of these provinces must arrange for private medical coverage through private insurance companies.
To study at a Canadian university, you will need a study permit. You may also need a visitor visa, which will be issued to you at the same time as your study permit. We can assist you to obtain the study permit. It is best to apply early, as processing of a study permit usually takes one or two months. There is a processing charge of $125 Cdn (approximately $80 US) for one person. If you plan to study in the province of Quebec you must pay another $100 Cdn for a Certificate dacceptation du Qu├ębec. There is no fee for a visa when it is issued with a study permit. Note: You must be sure to arrive in Canada with a valid study permit (and visitor visa, if required).
Tuition fees for international students vary from province to province and depend on your faculty of choice. The following table shows the range of tuition fees for each province. Fees are in Canadian dollars - for general arts and science programs. 2004-2005 2004-2005 Province Undergraduate tuition fees for the academic year (International students) Approx Graduate tuition fees for the academic year (International students) Approx British Columbia $4,304 - $15,480 $2,845 - $17,325 Alberta $5,983 - $10,364 $4,416 - $19,200 Saskatchewan $7,170 - $9,701 $5,313 - $7,170 Manitoba $5,004 - $6,630 $5,435 - $9,685 Ontario $6,082 - $12,666 $5,174 - $26,000 Quebec $8,868 - $10,188 $4,961 - $20,000 New Brunswick $6,540 - $ 9,960 $5,230 - $8,216 Nova Scotia $6,882 - $11,718 $4,065 - $14,800 Prince Edward Island $7,270 $5,947 Newfoundland $6,660 $1,896 - $3,549 You must also budget for personal item like books, instruments, student activity fees, food, housing, travel/transportation, health care, clothing, laundry and entertainment.